The Geographical Cure

After fourteen months of being unemployed I was hired at a hospital to head up one of their IT departments. I had to relocate to North West Georgia. It had been a total of eleven years since I first found out I had HEP C. I hadn't had any treatments for the last several months and was starting to feel better. When I was getting a routine physical for new employees the nurse at the clinic seemed to be concerned about the testing. I hadn't told them anything about the HEP C so I thought they were catching on because the nurse kept redoing test. She was talking to the doctor on the phone and she sounded very concerned. I knew I was busted when the clinic doctor rushed in to see me. He asked me how I felt, if I was thirsty, and how often I had to go to the restroom. I told him I was dying of thirst, I was very tired, and I had to go to the restroom about every twenty minutes. He told me my blood sugar was 790 which was extremely high and he was sending me straight to the emergency room. He looked into my eyes and started pushing on my abdomen then started thumping my liver. Nothing was said but I knew he knew that I had liver problems. He got the emergency room doctor on the phone and told him I was on my way and to take me in as soon as I got there.

The emergency room was only a few blocks away and when I arrived they threw me on a gurney and wheeled me into a room. The doctor ordered blood work and a CT scan. When he came back he told me I had a few problems, but first they had to bring my blood sugar down to below 200. He said I was a sick man and I had adult onset type 2 diabetes. The average blood sugar should be around 110. Then he said he was also concerned because my blood work and the CT scan were showing I might also have some liver problems. It was time to come clean, and then I gave him the scoop. After I begged him to sign the release to allow me to work he agreed only if I got a doctor to treat my diabetes and to help manage my HEP C. He signed the release! Meanwhile my previous doctor had transferred all my records to a medical group called "The Galen Group" where it was arranged for me to see one of their doctors.